Monday, September 08, 2008

Struggling

OK, here's the struggle:

We're starting our Small Groups again soon. I've got a baby on the way, and a need to be with my family more. I need to back out of leading a group and let someone else encourage ME for a while.

BUT...

I've got teens who need me. There are some parents who probably feel like I should be leading a teen group. Will the teens feel like I don't like them if I step away for a while? Do I spend enough time with them? Am I losing "momentum" if I slow things down after a crazy, but fulfilling summer?

What should I do?

Over the last few days, this song has been on the radio (multiple stations at various times.) Like a dummy, I didn't really pay attention to the words until today:

Father God, I am clay in your hands,
Help me to stay that way through all life's demands,
'Cause they chip and they nag and they pull at me,
And every little thing I make up my mind to be,
Like I'm gonna be a daddy whose in the mix,And I'm gonna be a husband who stays legit,
And I pray that I'm an artist who rises above,The road that is wide and filled with self love,
Everything that I see draws me,
Though it's only in You that I can truly see that its a feast for the eyes- a low blow to purpose.
And I'm a little kid at a three ring circus.

I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.
I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul,
Don't wanna walk away, let me hear the people say.

Being a youth minister is, in some ways, like any other job. You can work as HARD as you can for as many HOURS as you can, and be successful in the eyes of the world, but you could lose things that are precious to you. You could lose your family. You could lose sight of God. You could lose your faith. You could lose your sense of eternal purpose and be stuck on "looking good."
BUT...
I don't want to gain the whole world, and lose my soul.

Sometimes, you need to step back and make sure your soul is being fed.

1 comment:

preacherman said...

I was a youth minister for ten year and a pastor for 5 years. I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling. I hope this helps you brother:

Remember that family is the most important thing in the world

Don't we ba Lone Ranger youth minister. Let parents and volunteers help with activities and refeshments. Get the parents involved in your ministry. Let the teens and parents plan and take ownership of activities and even their own ministries. When they do it helps in a huge way. They feel a part of something that is theirs.

You are doing a great job.
You, your family and ministry is in my prayers.

If you need any other advice let me know. I hope I can help. I want to help youth ministers improve and help their ministries.

Always remember to take time for yourself, your wife and children. I have learned that if momma aint happen them no one is happy. So take time for what is most important.

A great book is "Ordering Your Private World" by Gorden McFee. It is a great book. Also purpose driven youth ministry by Doug Frilds. I hear and understand that their is also some 'Emerging Church Youth Ministry books comming out.

Again, God bless your ministry in a powerful way. I know God has great plans for your life if you continue to trust in him even when times get difficult.