Monday, September 29, 2008

Baby Garrison Update


Why do all my kids have to look like this their first few days of life?
Garrison had to be taken to the NICU because of labored breathing, low oxygen levels, and high white cell count. Several x-rays have come back looking clear, so they're not sure why he's laboring as though he needs to get something out of his lungs. They may have to insert a breathing tube so that they can put medicine directly into his lungs which will open up his air sacs and increase his O2 levels. We're hoping it won't come to that.
So this is a repeat performance for me. Fischer was in NICU for a couple of days as well. I hated every second. I'm one of the most squeamish people you know.
I cringed as they tried to insert an IV into both Garrison's arms, and it didn't work, so they went to work on his foot. I must have looked awful, because another nurse came over and said, "Would you like to go back upstairs and check on your wife now?" I gratefully accepted her suggestion.
I HATE hearing my kids cry. Oh, don't get me wrong...if they do something to deserve it, I'm fine. But not when it's like this!! It just tears at your heart and makes you want to scream out (like Elliot in the movie "E.T.") "Leave 'im alone!"
Tracy continues to do OK. Much better than last C-section!
Prayers for helpless daddy, recovering mommy, and struggling baby are appreciated.

7 comments:

debbers57 said...

your all in our thoughts and prayers...

Theresa Michelle said...

You're such a good daddy! I'm keeping the 3 of you in my prayers and know God cares for you even more than I do. He'll get you through!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the NICU is an emotionally draining place but we are thankful for modern medicine and the things they can do now to help. I can't imagine having to watch my child suffer when there's nothing that can be done to help him. Hang in there! I know how disheartening it can be. We are praying for all 4of you!!

Shane Coffman said...

Hang in there by the strength and peace that comes from the Spirit at work in you. Perhaps God may even use your presence there to minister to another struggling family.

Praying for you, friend.

Anonymous said...

You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

The Moore Family

Mandy said...

Praying for you all! Love you!

carrie said...

You are in our prayers! May God give you all strength, healing, and comfort during these trying times.