Monday, February 27, 2006

Watering the Lawn?

Today, I watered the lawn after work. Not the whole lawn...just the part right next to the house. I guess I'm kinda paranoid about the fire danger in Oklahoma! But part of me thinks I did it for other reasons...
Maybe watering the lawn is an outward expression of my desire to protect my family. As a new dad, I find that when I am extremely hurt and vulnerable, I feel ten times as protective of my family!

Why do we get protective of other people?

I know that part of it is because we love them. We would do anything to keep them from experiencing any kind of pain.
But I wonder if the other part is because WE want to be protected!
When we get down and out; when we feel hurt and vulnerable; when we feel like nobody cares; when we feel unprotected and unwanted...

Praise be to the LORD, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one. Save your people and bless your inheritance; be their shepherd and carry them forever.
Psalms 28:6-9

No comments: