Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Sense of Wonder


Our first trip to the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha brought out a real sense of wonder in my son's eyes. Looking at this picture brings a thrill because I can see he is soaking in new things, and enjoying every minute of it! If he could talk, I wonder if he would say something like this...


Psa 104:16 Our LORD, your trees always have water, and so do the cedars you planted in Lebanon.
Psa 104:17 Birds nest in those trees, and storks make their home in the fir trees.
Psa 104:18 Wild goats find a home in the tall mountains, and small animals can hide between the rocks.
Psa 104:19 You created the moon to tell us the seasons. The sun knows when to set,
Psa 104:20 and you made the darkness, so the animals in the forest could come out at night.
Psa 104:21 Lions roar as they hunt for the food you provide.
Psa 104:22 But when morning comes, they return to their dens,
Psa 104:23 then we go out to work until the end of day.
Psa 104:24 Our LORD, by your wisdom you made so many things; the whole earth is covered with your living creatures.
Psa 104:27 All of these depend on you to provide them with food,
Psa 104:28 and you feed each one with your own hand, until they are full.
Psa 104:30 You created all of them by your Spirit, and you give new life to the earth.
Psa 104:31 Our LORD, we pray that your glory will last forever and that you will be pleased with what you have done.
Psa 104:32 You look at the earth, and it trembles. You touch the mountains, and smoke goes up.
Psa 104:33 As long as I live, I will sing and praise you, the LORD God.
Psa 104:34 I hope my thoughts will please you, because you are the one who makes me glad.


I hope I will always have a sense of wonder about God. That is part of the coolness of being a youth minister....I get to work with people who see God in new ways! Just when God becomes "old hat" to me, someone else will invariably remind me of how awesome God really is!
When (and if) I turn 75, I hope I can still be thrilled by a monkey at a zoo, or amazed by a beautiful flower. God is awesome!

1 comment:

carrie said...

We just took Todd to Sea World and he had that same look in his eyes. As we were watching Shamu, he looked at us and said, "God was really smart when he made whales". How often do we overlook how smart God really is? Children are so great at making us stop and think about Christ in a totally different light.