Thursday, November 06, 2008

Planning a Youth Rally

Where do you start? Is there a master list to follow? Here are some tips I've used (stolen) in planning several youth rallies now:

1. Plan your theme and speaker well in advance. We try to have next year's theme and speaker ready to introduce by the end of this year's rally.
2. Give your teens appropriate responsibilities. Some teens can take on more responsibilities than others. For example, you probably shouldn't give a teen command of the budget for your youth rally!! On the other hand, you might have some talented artists who can perform or make artwork. My teens have shot the Rules video each year, and really impress me each time.
3. Involve your whole church. This is a great opportunity for people to see you (youth minister or volunteer) in action. Use them to house teens, serve food, lead a discussion or class, registration, driving...the list goes on.
4. Give yourself plenty of time to plan. I have a list that I start working on over a month before the rally begins. The stress will fade away as you cross the items off that list!
5. Be flexible! Things WILL go wrong! Teens will take their cues from you. If you think things aren't going well, they might think the same thing. Evaluate each rally when it's done, and remove or rework those things that didn't work.
6. Keep Jesus by your side. Remember what your rally is all about. It's not about showcasing your talents, or getting people to like you. Point them toward Christ.

In case you're wondering, I DO have several lists that I use to plan and execute our youth rally. If you think it would be helpful, let me know and I'll send them to you.

If you'll excuse me, I have to go sleep one more time before a hectic weekend begins with a LOT of teens and a LOT of Jesus!

6 comments:

preacherman said...

Wonderful thoughts on this subject. I have organized many YOuth Rallies over the years. I think it is so very important that you pay the speakers what they are worth.

I had one youth rally where Rex Boyles and Big Don Williams spoke.

Another with Scott Jarvis and David Fraze.

I think it is so important that you have different speakerss every year. Powerful and motivating speakers.

In the Youth Rallies that I have put on in the past I have either a drama team proform or singing groups.

Again, I want you to know that this has been such an excellent post brother. Great thoughts and words for all those planning on doing Youth Rallies.

I want you to know that you, your family and ministry are in my prayers daily. I pray for ya'll in the morning and in the evening before bed.

I hope you have a blessed week!

More than sparrows... said...

Hi I'm planning a youth rally for the first time for my congregation. Past youth rallies have fallen into the rut of some praise and worship, pizza, games, movies, and a planned attempt at waterbomb volleyball that always gets rained out. I am praying that God will help us and provide us a way out of the rut. Other youth rallies in our area are always inspiring and ours fall dismally flat year after year. I know this blog post is quite old, but I am wondering if you still had rally planning materials? If you do you can contact me via my blog or through email. Thanks! Ashley

Anonymous said...

any angestmcwe are planning our first youth rally and would appreciate any planning list you could share with us. God Bless

Unknown said...

well hello there, i am planning a youth rally with my youth group members for the first time, i really don't know where to start. i want to invite at least 10 churches to this event. please help me where i should start........

Angie Wilcox said...

Thanks for the tips. Our church is planning on having a youth rally soon but so far.no one has started doing anything this really helped!����

Unknown said...

I am a new Youth Pastor and I want to plan a youth rally at the end of the school year involving other churches in my town. This will be the first one for myself and the church. I have no idea where to start or how, and I would love some ideas.