Monday, February 12, 2007

Back from Vacation!


Back from vacation in sunny Florida. I had the opportunity to read a couple of novels, and one of them has really had me thinking (uncommon for a novel!)
The book is written by Ted Dekker (a Christian author) and is called "Three." If you haven't read him, I would suggest you do so. I just started and he writes at break-neck speed using Christian premises.
In this particular story, a stranger (who somehow knows the main character Kevin) calls a cell phone and tells Kevin that he will blow up his car in three minutes unless he confesses his sin to the world...YIKES!!
Confess my sin to the world?
When I was younger, I envisioned the process of going to Heaven as a huge waiting room. When it was your turn, a movie of your life was played...sin and all. Of course, if you prayed "up to the minute" prayers, your sins would be wiped out and forgotten. Or would they?
Since then, I have changed my view on Heaven, but I am still intrigued by the thought of confession.
Why is it so hard for us to confess?
The Bible tells us, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)
And yet, we all continue to keep our lives "in the dark" so to speak.
We have the dual nature at work within us, Godly versus "the flesh."
These are a few of the thoughts this book brought up. Sorry if my thoughts are incomplete...they are still "cooking" in my mind!! (I confess! hahaha)

2 comments:

Karen said...

OK, I'm taking your recommendation. I picked it up this morning at Barnes & Noble. I'll let you know how I liked it.

Karen said...

Wow... that was a bit unexpected. I couldn't read a steady diet of Dekker, but could probably throw one of his books in every 10 or 12 books. I'll have to try another one to be sure.