Saturday, August 12, 2006

Giving Good Gifts


We celebrated Fischer's FIRST birthday a couple of days ago! It was crazy, thinking of all the changes we have all gone through in a year. It has been such a blessing to watch him grow.

Birthdays are a lot of fun. I don't know how much Fischer will remember of this particular birthday, but I DO know that he has enjoyed several of his gifts.

If anyone were to ask me, I could tell you what Fischer likes. He likes Elmo, books, things to walk behind, and balls to throw! He has also become quite a little beggar and will quickly make his way toward you if you have food or drink. He especially likes ice-cream (thanks a LOT, Grandpa Sewell! :) Once he reaches you, he turns on the charm with a smile and you've just GOT to give him something for his efforts!

This got me thinking about Matthew 7:11..."11Even though you are bad, you know how to give good gifts to your children. How much more your heavenly Father will give good things to those who ask him!" (New Century Version)

Even though I think I am a pretty good dad (I change diapers, give baths, try to get away from work at regular hours to go home, play with my son, and know him pretty well) I also know that I am far from perfect. I still cannot read all of my son's signals and there are times I do not know what he wants or, more importantly, what he needs.

But God knows exactly what we want AND exactly what we need! He created us, so He knows us inside and out! And, being the loving, good, holy, all-knowing Father that He is, we can expect some GREAT gifts!

God, help us to realize that you know us and love us BETTER than a father loves his children, and that you will give us good things if we only ask. Thank you for loving us so much and taking such good care of us. Help me to be the kind of dad that you are.

No comments: