Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Who's Got Your Back?

"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up." (Proverbs 12:25)

I had someone from church call me today to give advice and to reassure me that I had someone to call on if I needed it. He also said that someone gave me a huge compliment the other day while speaking with him.

In youth ministry, it's SO NICE to know that people in your church want to look out for you...to protect you. They are concerned and they let you know about it. They don't want you to get burned out, or overstressed, or spiritually drained. They want to bear your burden with you!

I would even go so far to say that this is one of the TOP things any minister should look for when looking for a church to work with. Sometimes it can get lonely...feeling like you have no help or nobody to turn to. Sometimes you feel the pressure to be perfect when nobody else could measure up to that standard.

What a blessing to have "protectors" as a youth minister...people that will "go to bat" for you. Or, as our songleader said Sunday morning: "It's good to know that my Christian brothers and sisters have 'got my back.'"

1 comment:

Shane Coffman said...

One thing I've learned here at Memorial Drive is the power of encouragement. Barely a day goes by around here that someone, usually more than one someone, is filling my ears with encouragement. A lot of the time it is from Terry. Other times it is from the elders or members of our worship team. But it even goes beyond the circle of people I work most closely with. It is amazing and refreshing.

I think they've "got my back".