Thursday, April 14, 2011

We Love Justice...YEAH, RIGHT!

I'm reading Rob Bell's new book, Love Wins. I must say, it's living up to its controversial hype!
The total review will be held off until I finish the book. Perhaps I can be a little more fair then.
However, there was one line in the book that made me laugh out loud the other day as I read it.

"We love justice."

First of all, let me give some context. The author was saying that we tend to naturally enjoy it when justice is served.
Now, my thoughts on that...
REALLY?!

When I got home the other day, I was told a story about my 2 and 1/2 year old son. Apparently, he went missing for 10-15 minutes. My wife and mother-in-law were almost in hysterics, combing every inch of the house without success. They then asked the neighbors to join in on the hunt. Nothing.
The terrible thought began to come up that maybe he was down by the railroad tracks about two blocks away.
Before they ran down to the tracks, they decided to look around the house one last time.
And finally, they found Garrison...
...hiding in Grandma's bed, under the covers, completely silent...
...eating berry-flavored Rolaids!

Now, why did he NOT call out and let them know where he was?
Because he was afraid of being caught...he was afraid of JUSTICE!
I agree with Bell that we love justice...when we have been wronged and the OTHER PERSON gets their "just desserts." But, we don't like it when WE get what's coming to us!

No comments: