Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sabotaging God

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
- From "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath

I heard the song above while driving home this afternoon and found myself really identifying with its message. I got really excited about seeing others through God's eyes, seeing past their surface to their hurts.
But it's one thing to get excited about lyrics, and another to live them.
I can sing this song in my car on the way to work, and then lock myself away in my office the rest of the day. Somehow, when I pray that God opens my eyes to help others, but then cut myself off from humanity, it seems like I'm sabotaging God's answer to my prayer.
Any other times you've sabotaged God's answers to prayer?
  • "God, help me get well." (But I refuse to go to the doctor, exercise, etc.)
  • "God, I need a job." (But I expect the perfect employer to call me without any effort on my part.)
  • "God, heal my marriage." (As long as it doesn't take too much of my time.)

No comments: